The Reading List


Books

Today I created a new page tracking my reading list.

Normally I use Goodreads as my reading tracker. I don't particularly care about how many books I've read in a year, or how many pages I read each day, but it's a good parameter to think about when I fall out of reading habit. I have created lists of books I want to read later, and the books that I am currently reading. It's a fantastic tool for any avid / occasional reader.

Then why all of a sudden did I create a page on my blog to track reading?

Several moments ago I realized that I am too engrossed in listing what I've read rather than thinking about what I learned from it; too busy planning the next book to read instead of actually picking up one and starting to read it; too busy gawking at the list of books I've read without remembering any content or anecdotes from them.

Each time I read a review of a movie or a book, I recognize the interesting places and points I missed because I wasn't paying attention. The easiest way to pay attention to a task is if you have to explain it after it's done. It's the same as saying teaching is the best way to learn.

So begins my quest of writing about what I read. May be I will ease up on lists and actually finish reading Moby Dick.

Or may be I will create another list of abandoned books.

Comments